Year 8 triumph in Swansea schools cup final

Wednesday 25th March 2015.

Yr 8 bounce back to claim the cup.


The year 8 squad.

Back row (from left); Alex Jones, Rhys Flower, Charlie Williams, Jacob Turatto, Mabon Kaniewski, Connor Williams, John Edwards, Tim Perkins, Joseff Daniel, Olly Bruce, Charlie Smith, James Ridgway, Mr Lewis (Coach).

Front row (from left); Kori Barton, Kobe Bowen, Josh Thomas, Daniel Warne, Matthew Newcombe, Elliott Slocombe, Jacob Rees, Joel Matuschke (capt), Rhys Jones, Jac Simons, Ethan Hall, Ben Petherbridge, Jack Griffiths.

Gowerton year 8: 10 Bishopston year 8: 5

Gowerton cap a fine season with Swansea Schools’ cup victory.

        After last Friday’s convincing semi-final 38-0 victory over last year’s champions Olchfa, year 8 travelled to St. Helens in confident mood for the cup final against Bishopston.


Connor Williams prepares to win a lineout.

Bishopston kicked off and applied the early pressure with fly half Duncan Lloyd-Evans kicking intelligently and centres Luca Scotto-Smith and Matthew Carey both carrying a threat with ball in hand. However, Gowerton relieved the pressure when lock Jacob Rees achieved a turnover on his try line. Wing Ben Petherbridge broke clear and fine handling involving centres Charlie Williams and Jacob Turatto, flanker Josh Thomas and fly half Joel Matuschke released No.8 Tim Perkins who was held up just short of the line. A strike against the head at the resulting scrum by Bishopston hooker Owen Price allowed them to counter attack and although the initial thrust was halted in Gowerton’s 22, from the resulting scrum centre Carey cut an excellent angle to take a short pass and slice through the cover to open the scoring in the 20th minute.

Bishopston’s lead was short lived and three minutes later another fine run out of defence by wing Petherbridge saw him link with centre Turatto and No.8 Perkins, he fed wing John Edwards who sprinted 30 metres to score in the corner and at the break the game was as evenly balanced as on the scoreboard.


Captain Joel Matuschke lifts the cup.

At the start of the second half, the power of Gowerton’s tight forwards put them on the front foot, with props Mabon Kaniewski and Ethan Hall, lock Connor Williams and flanker Rhys Jones all prominent and they deservedly took the lead in the 33rd minute when a well co-ordinated catch and drive from a line out resulted in a try for scrum half Jac Simons.

Bishopston controlled the last quarter as they pressed for an equalising score. No.8 Rhys Davies controlled the breakdown and a regular supply of possession allowed centres Carey and Scotto-Smith to probe for openings. Gowerton’s defence was severely tested. Centre Carey looked like he might break clear on two occasions only to be denied by excellent tackles from wing Daniel Warne. Wing Petherbridge who had excelled with his counter attacking in the first half was another whose defensive work was called upon more than once to deny Bishopston a score. His all round play earned him the man of the match award.


The victorious squad with the trophy after the game.

With 5 minutes left, Bishopston seemed certain to score only for lock Rees to strip the ball clear over the try line. In the final minute, Bishopston were again denied this time by an excellent tackle by No.8 Perkins. From the resulting scrum, hooker Rhys Flower struck the ball against the head and scrum half Simons kicked the ball dead and it was Gowerton who were able to celebrate, but Bishopston had given their all and deserved great credit for their efforts.

SONY DSC Blimey, John Edwards was so hungry he wanted to eat the cup!

Post comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© Gowerton School: Powered by just 2 easy & Hwb