Match Reports (updated)

Singapore CC Academy U16s: 12 Gowerton U16s: 39

The Gowerton U16s took to the field on a very soggy and damp pitch that was elegantly placed in the middle of a jungle. The setting was perfect although the conditions proved difficult to master, several balls were dropped in the initial exchanges with both teams struggling to come to terms with the slippery ball.

Gowerton initially tried to play too much rugby which resulted in errors. This was rectified by the smart work of Sam Cambriani at half back who opted for a more tactical approach – shorter passes and some clever kicking gave Gowerton the territory that then allowed them to score some well worked tries. The forwards created an excellent platform at both scrum and lineout, with the front row of Ollie Quick, Aled Simons and Nathan Davies proving much stronger than their opponents. The pick of the pack came from the back row with Jack Soproniuk, Joe Bright and Jacob Ireland running strongly and proving combative at the breakdown. This allowed Max Treharne at 9 to give a crisp service to a dangerous backline, of centres Sean Collins & Adam Fielding, wings Rhys Baker & Sam Jones and full back Sam Nicholson all looking dangerous with the ball in hand. It wasn’t long before the tries came and some excellent running angles and evasive running angles allowed full back Nicholson, centre Collins and prop Olly Quick all to cross for scores , one of which No.8 Jacob Ireland converted.

However a lapse of concentration allowed SCC back into the game, a few missed tackles and some poor concentration meant that the hosts crossed twice for tries, one of which was converted to reduce the arrears to five points.

Half time substitutions proved effective with Rhys Edwards, Elliott Rees, Cameron Lewis and Iwan Richards all contributing with strong elusive running and some powerful tackling. Flanker Rees made some exceptional tackles from the flank and Lewis who fitted into the No8 position looked explosive from the back of the scrum. Edwards was assured at full back and controlled the defensive line well to ensure no other scores were conceded.

Man of the match was given to flanker Joe Bright, who was pushed closely by co-flanker Jack Soproniuk. Both provided solid performances in both attack, ball in hand, and defence.
Second half tries from centres Richards and Fielding and full back Edwards one of which was converted by flanker Rees allowed the visitors to ease to a 39-12 win.
Australia promises to provide much stiffer opposition and the players will need to rise to the challenge. However, a great way to start the tour in a lovely setting, with some much needed rugby playing time gained.

Match report: Mr Thomas.

Singapore CC Academy U18s: 0 Gowerton U18s: 22

The 1st XV started their tour with victory over the famous Singapore Cricket Club rugby Academy. The Singapore CC is a building with a rich history and tradition in the centre of Singapore’s CBD. However, being out of season, the game was played on their second ground which was set in the middle of an area of rainforest.

Gowerton were in the ascendency from kick off with the front row of Ryan Hughes, Ben Brown and Tom Northey gaining the upper hand in the tight and with half backs Milo Fleming and Steffan Tyrrell probing effectively and releasing strong running centres Callum Carson and Kieran Charles regularly, they took the lead after 5 minutes when full back Olly Smith made a break 30 metres out and fed centre Charles who powered through several would be tacklers to open the scoring.

In the 17th minute, more good handling from full back Smith and centres Carson and Charles gave Tyrrell the room to double the lead.

In the second half, Gowerton’s back row of Lloyd Dudley-Jones, Trystan Williams and Ethan Harris revelled in the space the dominance of their front five afforded them.

In the 35th minute good work by lock Joe Whitehorn and wing Lewis Hyatt allowed flanker Dudley-Jones to crash over. Full back Smith added the extras.

With 10 minutes left, centre Charles and full back Tom Ham worked an opportunity for flanker Williams to barge over to complete the scoring.

At the end of the game, Full back Olly Smith’s incisive first half running won him the man of the match award, although he was pushed closely by the aggressive work of Joe Whitehorn in the contact area.

The side now moves on to Melbourne where they will face a tough test against the Victorian Schools state side.

Hockey: Singapore 1 – Gowerton 1

We arrived at our hockey fixture in a fantastic stadium with 2 players short. Singapore were kind enough to lend us 2 players so we could field a full team of 11 players. Holly Breeze-Jones volunteered to play in goals for the game as our usual goalkeeper was playing Netball. We started the game well considering it was the first time we had played together as a team. We soaked up some Singapore pressure for 15 minutes as we grew in to the game. Some lovely play from Freya Fleming and Ehsan Yadollahi saw a lovely shot just wide. Singapore countered well and a great instinctive save from Holly kept the game at 0-0. Sam Nicholson and Aled Simons, who kindly stood in, were making some great runs down the wing which eventually led to a Sam Hughes goal after a fine passage of play. The game evened out until half time with both sides seeing the same amount of the ball and both teams defending well.

After the break, Aled took over in goals for Holly to have some outfield game time. Again, we started strongly and a Sam Nicholson shot went narrowly wide after a fine individual run from Ehsan. Some great defensive play from both Chloe Weatherley and Lucy Jones kept the score at 1-0 as we soaked up some more Singapore pressure as they looked for the equaliser. Bethan Dallimore, Freya and Ehsan took control of the midfield half way through the second half. This led to a fine through ball towards Sam Nicholson who expertly rounded the on-rushing Singapore goalkeeper, only to see the angle too tight, and his strike going narrowly wide.

Full time was fast approaching and with only 10 minutes to play. Singapore were piling on the pressure looking for an equaliser. Only 3 fine saves from Aled kept the score at 1-0. With the heat and humidity affecting us, Singapore managed a late equaliser with 3 minutes to spare. Full time result 1-1.

Team: Holly Breeze-Jones (C), Chloe Weatherley, Lucy Jones, Freya Fleming, Bethan Dallimore, Aled Simons, Sam Nocholson, Sam Hughes, Ehsan Yadollahi.

POTM: Ehsan Yadollahi

By Carly Smitham

Singapore Academy (Polytechnics) netball: 21 Gowerton: 6

We arrived on a wet but humid night after a 40 minutes drive from the hotel. The girls are in great spirits and ready for their first game. The sports academy is pretty impressive with  a mass array of different sports all taking part all over the campus.

Walking into the sports hall we were hit immediately with the humidity and to the disappointment of the girls the only form of ‘air conditioning’ were two standing fans.

The girls get the game under way with the starting 7 being Charleigh Baker and Mille as our shooters, Amy, Chloe Watkins and Rebecca Williams as our centre court players and Miriam and Shanaye in our defence.

The game starts fast with the Polytechnic girls showing some impressive set plays that they practise in their 3 times a week training sessions. The goals start to creep up, but Shanaye and Miriam work tirelessly to try and stop the ball from entering the shooting circles and claiming some impressive interceptions.

Down the other end captain Charleigh and Millie get in some fantastic shots and we start to claw back some goals.

Unfortunately our vice captain Amy called a time out and asked to come off….she has been suffering a cold and wanted to catch her breath. Tiffany Thomas came on as WA and Chloe Watkins moved into the centre position.

The first third ended 3- 9 to Singapore Polytechnics.

We kept the same formation for the second third, giving Amy Baldwin a break. Singapore had enough players from a whole new set of players. Tiffany and Chloe both worked well together to fill her shoes and really made it easy to help our shooter into the circles.

Down the other end, Shanaye again showed her training playing off, keeping her opponent out of shooting opportunities and not allowing the score to creep away.

Becca made it very difficult for the wings to feed the circle as she put pressure on every single past. Despite that the Singapore Polytechnics managed to pull away a little ending this third 5-16.

Amy decided to come back on for the final third, our girls were very hot and tired, she came on as wind attack and Chloe offered to stay in the centre position despite feeling very tired….what a trooper!!! Singapore again fielded a brand new set of players…this was tough on our girls!

Charleigh’s shooting was on fire this final third and every ball she was fed she scored from. Our girls did find it difficult to get it into her as they had now learn our strength of Charleigh’s height and put in a tall keeper.

Chloe was running around everywhere trying every move to try and bring the ball up to her and Mille and help Amy feed too.

Becca continued to pile on the pressure and Miriam and Shanaye marked every single shot, never giving up.#

The game ended 9-21.

Chloe Watkins was named player of the match for her overall efforts and fantastic team spirits.


Comments ( 1 )
  1. Julie

    Well done girls – really tough conditions for netball – great work!

Post comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© Gowerton School: Powered by just 2 easy & Hwb