Year 11: 36 Bishopston: 0

Gowerton make it to the cup final.

Gowerton year 11: 36 Bishopston year 11: 0

Gowerton entertained Bishopston at Gowerton RFC in the semi final of the Swanseaschools’ year 11 cup. Despite a strong cross wind conditions were excellent for open running rugby and both teams entered into that spirit and although the hosts emerged with a 36-0 victory that looked comfortable on the scoreboard, Bishopston competed strongly throughout. It was the visitors who applied the early pressure with half backs Harry Davies and Joe Shouaib both prompting their team effectively.

They weren’t able to convert their pressure into points and it was Gowerton who got the scoreboard moving in the 7th minute when lock Ethan Harris stole a lineout and powerful No.8 Morgan Morris injected pace in midfield to cross for a try that fly half and captain Phil Jones converted.

During the next quarter both teams pressed for a score, but defences were on top with centre Sam Morgan-Rees and full back Emilio Grattarola defending strongly for the visitors while Gowerton’s centre pairing of Rhys Evans and Steffan Tyrrell were uncompromising defenders.

The hosts increased their lead in the 22nd minute when man of the match, scrum half Callum Lewis tapped a penalty quickly. Prop Tom Northey ran a clever angle and committed the last man before putting fellow prop Steffan Gibbon over in the corner

and at the break Gowerton led 12-0.

At the start of the second half it was again the visitors who started on the front foot with wing Luke Williams looking dangerous with ball in hand, but more quick thinking from Gowerton’s  scrum half Lewis released wing Oliver Smith and he sprinted in from 25 metres to stretch his side’s lead.

The visitors continued to compete strongly but with fly half Jones now dictating play intelligently Gowerton added three further tries in the final 10 minutes. The first was a fantastic individual effort from No.8 Morris who took a short pass on his own try line, breached the defensive line and then set off on a lung bursting run that saw him outstrip the covering defenders and run the length of the field for a try that fly half Jones converted.

Prop Gibbon, who had a fine game in the loose, then grabbed his second try when Gowerton took a scrum against the head and following an incisive break by scrum half Lewis, Gibbon was on hand to cross in the corner.

The final move of the game resulted in the best team try of the game with the ball being moved both ways across the field before hooker Luke Snell powered over for the score. Jones added the extras and Gowerton will play the winners of the tie between Olchfa and BCP Eastside in the final at St. Helens on Monday. Kick off 5.00pm.

Comments are closed.

© Gowerton School: Powered by just 2 easy & Hwb