Year 7 v Morriston

Confident year 7 into next round.

Gowertonyear7: 37 Morriston year 7: 5
Back row from the left:William Jenkins, Owen Hodges, Josh Thomas, Alex Jones, James Rees John Edwards, Connor Williams, Mabon Kaniewski, Tim Perkins, Rhys Flower, Jack Griffiths, Rhys Jones, Ethan Hall, Mr. Thomas.
Front row from the left:Daniel Warne, Oliver Bruce, Charlie Williams, Jacob Turatto, Ben Petherbridge, Joel Matuschke (captain), Matthew Newcombe, Coby Bowen, Jac Simons, Elliott Slocombe, Charlie Smith, Matthew Evans.
Yr 7 produce 7 try performance to progress into the second round of the Swansea cup.
Gowerton’s year 7 rugby team entertained Morriston in the first round of the Swansea schools’ cup and produced a skilful performance that saw them move confidently into the second round of the competition.
The game was played in persistent rain that meant handling was always difficult, but to their credit both teams produced some skilful rugby that belied those conditions.
Jac Simons stretches to claim Gowerton’s third try.
The hosts stretched their lead three minutes later when full back Matthew Newcombe entered the line on half way and his easy running style took him around the cover to allow him to cross for the second try.
Morriston were not subdued by conceding two early scores and flanker Danny Devey, full back Louis Rees and wing Joe Maclean all posed a threat when in possession. However, Gowerton’s defence was uncompromising and they increased their lead when Morriston attempted to run out of defence. A great tackle by No.8 Tim Perkins saw possession spilled, ubiquitous flanker Rhys Jones gathered and powered forward, he was halted short, but man of the match Simons crossed for the hosts’ third try.
Gowerton added two further tries before half time, the first came after a surging run from flanker Jack Griffiths gave centre Ben Petherbridge the room to outstrip the cover and then good work by wing Olly Bruce allowed centre Charlie Smith to score in the same corner.
Joel Matuscke and Tim Perkins compete for possession at the breakdown.
At the break, Gowerton’s lead was an unfair reflection on how gamely the visitors had battled and with visiting flanker Devey and Gowerton took the lead in the second minute when scrum half Jac Simons burst through the cover defence. He looked certain to score until halted by an excellent tackle from Morriston’s No.8 Dylan Rees-Davies. Prop Connor Williams was on hand to collect the loose ball and dive over.
No.8 Rees-Davies continuing to impress with their work rate and ability at the breakdown it was they who started the second half on the front foot. However, Gowerton’s defence with prop Mabon Kaniewski  and flanker Rhys Jones prominent continued to keep the visitors at bay and they increased their lead in the 34th minute when another strong run by flanker Jones established a position deep in the visitors 22, this time it was scrum half Elliott Slocombe who was on hand to benefit with the try. Centre Petherbridge added the conversion.
The visitors deservedly scored the next try when good work by fullback Louis Rees allowed them to set up a position deep in the hosts’ 22 and No.8 Rees-Davies crossed for the try his team deserved.
It was the hosts who had the final say, when a powerful run by prop Williams put flanker Alex Jones clear to allow him to complete the scoring.
The final whistle followed and Gowerton progress to the quarter final where they host the winners of the tie between Bryntawe and Pontarddulais.

Comments are closed.

© Gowerton School: Powered by just 2 easy & Hwb